Friday, December 3, 2010

I agree with Judy that I think that the boy's perspective is intended to signify the childhood aspect of this anecdote, but I still do not understand the purpose of beginning with a death scene. I was contemplating the possibility of new beginning and growth afterwards. Like the boy being able to mature on his own and this loss being part of his maturation process. But it still seems like Joyce could of had another intention with this.
To the question posed in class of why this story was called "The Sisters" I feel their role is more than just talking throughout this story. Although the focus was not on them, they served as the main active characters and spoke the most. Perhaps they did not approve of the relationship between the boy and Father Flynn and Joyce hinted in some underlying way that they sped his death along.

No comments:

Post a Comment