Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Song of Solomon + Sorry..my toilet erupted and caused a mini-crisis

I agree with both Leah and Saranya in that I feel like Pilate is Milkman's mentor, although I have conflicting feelings about women as a whole. I think Morrison's portrayal of women throughout the book is pretty much irregular. There didn't seem to be one prevailing type of woman, obviously that wouldn't be realistic, but she portrayed them in quite opposing lights. On the one hand you have Pilate as a completely dominant, wise, and powerful figure, and then, for example, there's Hagar: a completely emotionally dependent and unstable person who seems quite incapable of finding happiness or peace unless through "her man" Milkman. I think Morrison is attempting to contrast to the reader the two extreme ways women are perceived. For the most part, they can be seen as these totally independent and knowledgeable beings, where on the other hand they are made out to be these weak, unstable and emotionally needy burdens to men.
In regards to the Song of Solomon in the Bible, I find it quite clear that Morrison attempted to incorporate many of these lines (?) / parts of the story into Hagar's never ending emotional hike: peaks and valleys are significant components, but there is also the underrated times of peace where she is just walking and enjoying the present (that might make more sense in my head). For example, "By night on my bed I sought him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not" (Ch. 3, Part 1) shows her love for Milkman and her desire to be with him always: an emotion that is only met with physical absence and unreciprocated love. Another example can be found in that "I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine: he feedeth among the lilies" (Ch. 6, Part 3). Evidently she would be more than willing to completely give herself to Milkman, and considers him her man, for there is simply no other man on earth that could satisfy her needs and / or desires. This statement, however, in no clear way incorporates the feelings of the other's emotions. Throughout the entirety of Song of Solomon, it seems quite clear that all of these lines / parts are exclusively from the woman's (Hagar's) point of view. Morrison is very successful in incorporating many of these thoughts / emotions into Hagar's role.

No comments:

Post a Comment